Thursday, June 16, 2005

Goban from Yutopian

Received my Korean-made magnetic goban from Yutopian. With this model, each stone's magnet is sandwiched between two identical plastic halves so you have a whole stone. This means that you don't have to flip the stone to have its magnet-side down on the board (unlike other models I have seen sold on eBay).

The price is about the same as the smaller Japanese-made version sold at Kinokuniya Bookstore in San Francisco.

The stones rattled in the plastic case so I bought some black felt, with adhesive backing, from Michael's and lined the insides of the drawers. It quieted the stones considerably and gave the goban a classier look and feel.

2 Comments:

At 6:00 PM, June 22, 2006, Blogger Ben C. said...

ChiyoDad,

I've read through all of June and July of 2005 and am enjoying your posts, your progress and your sharing of things related to and not related to Go. Thanks for keeping up with your blog.

I am picking up the game again and went to Kinokuniya here in New York City and found some decent magnetic boards with smallish 'stones'. Do you still recommend the Korean board mentioned in this post? I like that the magnet is sandwiched and not exposed.

Thanks again!

 
At 7:09 PM, June 22, 2006, Blogger ChiyoDad said...

Hello Ben,

First of all, you should confirm whether the board from Kinokuniya is a 19x19 Igo set or a 15x15 Gomoku set.

One year on, I still like my Myung-In set that I bought from Yutopian; especially after I modified it to muffle the rattle of the stones. The size is comfortable.

The magnetic adhesion of the stones is good enough that the positions don't change when one jostles the board. It is not strong enough to keep the stones in place when the board is tilted more than 40 degrees. If you want stronger adhesion, go with a set that has exposed magnets.

Best Regards,
- ChiyoDad

 

Post a Comment

<< Home