Wednesday, November 16, 2005

20k, BQM and Shape

RankBot001 (White) resigns after move 142

First break into 20k

I told saiclone (18k, aka frankiii) that I would break 20k by the evening of November 16th and I did. I was successful in an even match with jcm (21k) and a 6-stone handicap match against RankBot001 (13k). It's a bit odd but this was the first time since I got back from my playing break that I expressed that level of confidence.

jcm, merci pour le partie! You were gracious in our match and I really appreciated that.

I discovered that I play well when I match-up against the slower-paced RankBots (running GnuGo 3.6) because (Surprise!) I think more about my moves. I've also tried to take my KGS friends' advice of playing more solidly and avoiding a hane that serves little to no purpose.

Shugyosha (30k) himself is returning from a playing break although his circumstances were notably different than mine. I wish him greater speed in getting his groove back than I had.


Big Question Mark


Yoyoma (2k) had suggested that I post some of my game conundrums on Sensei's Library's Big Question Mark section. This was the first time I had ever heard of it. It's a section where you can ask for commentary on just a portion, or a particular position, in your game.

To-date, there are 261 entries there. It's a good section to visit to see how different positions can be analyzed.


Three Diagonally Across - Bad Shape?

In my match against RankBot001, I played three stones running diagonally across the board to protect the corner as is shown in the close-up below. In fact, I played this formation twice; to the left and the right.

Maybe I'm setting myself up for trouble.

I feel as if this is a potentially vulnerable formation and that it could easily be undermined by a star-point invasion. But I also felt that it had an equal potential to protect the corner. Does anyone have any insight or experiences that they can share about this shape when it is centered on the star-point?

6 Comments:

At 9:51 PM, November 16, 2005, Blogger Woodard said...

Chiyodad,

Congratulations on 20K! looks like you're going to be the first of us newbies to hit double digit kyu. Keep up the good work!

 
At 10:18 PM, November 16, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the bottom figure: extremely bad for black; both black moves are anti-suji or soksu

--- a fellow go player

 
At 7:14 AM, November 17, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Chiyodad!

Oh yeah i've played this shape a couple times. It's pretty weak as it stands. You're right in saying the 3-3 point is vital. I lost a corner (and match) this way in IGSs' IWAG tourney.

 
At 7:36 AM, November 17, 2005, Blogger Woodard said...

Chiyodad, at Empty Sky we call that approach response a "Kick" because you boot the white stone and it shoots up :-)

Yes, double kick is dangerous, W lives in the corner and B is surrounded. better off following up with an extension on the other side to prevent the double approach. In your example, it's B's move so he can secure at c17 and should be ok.

I have a move that's not exactly great shape that I sometimes use in 9-stone handicap games. Looking at your diagram, W approaches the star point at f17, you kick at e17, W extends at f16. I then follow up with B at e14 instead of d14. W expects B to be passive; the agressive move sometimes catches W off guard and then I have great fun chasing him around the board.

 
At 10:48 AM, November 17, 2005, Blogger ChiyoDad said...

Ugh! Anti-suji? I should watch out for this shape then. Maybe I'll look it up in a joseki or tesuji dictionary. Thanks for the counsel everyone!

Thanks for the congratulations Brad! Yes, the kyuteens are in sight but it always takes a bit of work to get even just one stone stronger. Back to the books for me!

 
At 3:06 AM, November 18, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi,

my two cents again. the kicking seems to be okay, but the next move for black will seem to be at E15, aiming at separating the two white groups. before the white groups are settled, white will normally not go into 3-3 because if he does, you can happily let him live in the corner and get outside influence, and either one of the white groups may have to die after you have separated them.

if black now plays at C17, white will gladly play at around E15, sealing black in.

on black's move at E14 instead of D14, i am somewhat sceptical of this move as I don't think black can effectively attack white and at the same time, not effectively protecting the side/corner, so accomplishing no clear objectives.

just my two cents. could be wrong :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home