Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Tenuki: New job coming

Aye! We march!

I and two others from my department are being asked to join a new global operations group that is headquartered in Scotland. We would be part of its US wing. I know and kind-of like the director that I would be reporting to; not that I have any problems whatsoever with my current one.

Of course, with this transition, I'll need to provide my current department with support for a month or so. After that, I'll need to get familiar with my new role and try to distinguish myself. At this point, it's a fair assumption that this transition will impact the amount of time I can allot to studying and playing Go.

I have a feeling that, for the next several months, I will become more dependent on books to improve at Go or just to even maintain my current skill level.


Books Arrived


The two series of books that I had mentioned last Sunday have arrived. I'll be putting together a summary of my kyu-level opinions for a future post.

6 Comments:

At 11:17 PM, May 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the job... I think. :)
I couldn't determine from what you said if it's just a shift in the type of work you do, a promotion, or even a relocation. In any case, if it makes you happier in your work life, congrats.

 
At 7:48 AM, May 11, 2006, Blogger Stjep said...

Horray, Chiyodad is coming to europe :D

Everytime when I think of Scotland the first thing that comes to my mind is scotch.... <_<

 
At 8:30 AM, May 11, 2006, Blogger ChiyoDad said...

Hello zeke!
Based on my initial impressions, my assessment will probably mirror yours.

Hello VincentV!
Whoa! I'm not being stationed in Scotland. My director will be out there but I'll stay in California. This will actually allow them to have almost around-the-clock operations.

Given my love for Go, I wish I could find something within the company that would allow me to visit our East Asian operations on a regular basis.

 
At 6:31 PM, May 14, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm curious.... how are you going to get full value out of the Japanese-language books? Or do you read Japanese?

Thanks,

Gohst

 
At 6:43 PM, May 14, 2006, Blogger ChiyoDad said...

Hello Gohst,

I probably will not get the absolute full value out of the Japanese language books but interpreting the core of these may not be that difficult. Each section illustrates a tesuji-technique and is followed by a series of problems related to that technique. The structure is notably similar to the Davies book on tesuji.

The SL Basic Japanese For Reading Go Books page will be very helpful.

I'm hoping to write up a first-impressions review on the Seigen books in about a month.

 
At 5:27 PM, May 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh, now that's a really cool page! I never would have guessed that it existed. I see that SL has an even more extensive page for Chinese Go terms, and that page references a book called Contemporary Go Terms (available in the US) that has 335 pages of English, Japanese, Korean, and Chinese characters for commonly-used terms. That's just wack!

There are a few books that are hard to find in English (like the All About Life and Death that you reference here) that *are* fairly easily available in the original language. I've always wanted to learn Chinese, but maybe not just so I could read Go books. But anyway, with the availability of the Contemporary Go Terms book, I'm going to have to rethink. After a couple of months, I'll bet it wouldn't be so hard to get the basics out of almost any Asian-langauge Go book.

Cool... I learned something here.

BTW, you're lucky to find someone who would give/sell you the Cho Chikun books. I did about 10 minutes' searching after reading your post, and they're *hard* to find at a reasonable price. Most people want over $100 for each volume (which I won't pay). There are rumors that they will be republished, but it hasn't happened yet.

-- Gohst

 

Post a Comment

<< Home