Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Go video from Leonard Dragomir


If haven't already gotten the news on rec.games.go, Leonard Dragomir of the Warriors Go Academy up in Canada has put together a very serene (music) video on Go. The images and background music were very nicely selected.

I have no idea what the demand will be like but I have the Hikaru no Go DVD on the top of my Netflix queue. I'd really like to see how the English dub came out. It seems to have already gotten a bit of a thumbs down from the Anime News Network but I'd like to form my own opinion.


In other news


Per her subtle request, I got ChiyoChan a Lego Mindstorms set for Christmas without hesitation. Adding a robotics engine to these blocks strikes me as a natural extension to the Lego concept.

Thus far, we've just built the first roverbot with a single-bumper sensor and will be working on a custom program for it today (after I take care of ChiyoMama's "Honey-do ..." list for the garage). ChiyoChan also wants to experiment with the optical sensor.

ChiyoChan already got an inspiration to use her Harry Potter Lego set to build a small castle on the walking version of the roverbot to create Howl's Moving Castle. She's a bit concerned about the weight ratio so we're not certain if this would be doable.

I wish this set came with more projects. The manual contains only three (with variations). I'm guessing that we'll need to go online or purchase books to find a few more. I know that there are many elaborate Mindstorms that have been built by engineers but I'll need to find some that aren't too complicated for a bright ten-year-old.

2 Comments:

At 11:44 AM, December 27, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had already watched hikaru no go subs that I downloaded from the net. I bought the u.s. version today at best buy. I have to say, listening to sai's voice in the english dubs seriously ruined the experience.

I strongly suggest watching it in japanese with subtitles turned on.
The main reason I bought it was so I could show my friend hikaru no go but there's no way I'm going to let him watch it in the english dub. :)

 
At 12:07 PM, December 27, 2005, Blogger ChiyoDad said...

Netflix says that they're shipping the DVD today so I'll find out for myself by tomorrow afternoon.

I've been more of a subbed person rather than a dubbed person. ChiyoChan and I preferred watching Azumanga Daioh in Japanese with subtitles. A couple of series that seemed to reasonably survive dubbing were Inu-Yasha and Haibane Renmei (but I'm sure there are those who would sharply disagree with me).

I'm expecting that there'll be a lot of nuances lost between the Japanese version and this English dub. If they really did a poor job of casting the voice actors, then too much will have already been lost.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home