Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Thanks to Don at GoDiscussions


GoDiscussions.com has turned into a vibrant online Go community since it was launched by Don back on April 3rd. He created it as a family-friendly alternative to rec.games.go (i.e. minus the spam, flames, odd off-topics et al) and he has, thus far, succeeded.

Don is only 20k on KGS and he doesn't have as much time to play or study because he's busy maintaining the forum. I saw in his bio that he had only three beginner's books in his library.

As it turned out this week, I had extra copies of James Davies's "Tesuji" and "Life & Death"; the original versions as they were published by Ishi Press. I had received them as part of a bundle of Go books that I had won on eBay when I was shopping for Nagahara's/Bozulich's "Handicap Go" and Eio's "Modern Joseki and Fuseki, Vol.2" (both now out of print).

DrStraw, Robert Jasiek and many higher-ranked players that I know consider the two Davies books to be among the very best English books for improving one's rank. I mailed my extra copies to Don as thank-you gifts for all the work he has put into the forum. Someday, he'll trounce me in a game.


Helping out with product reviews

GoDiscussions also has a fledgling product review section where forum members can add, rate and comment upon Go products. I'll probably be putting my book reviews (aka The Kyu Reviews) there from hereon so readers can compare my opinion with those of others.

You'll be able to see a list of my book reviews on my GoDiscussions Profile page.


14k, ... but don't believe it yet.

The KGS ranking system promoted me to 14k after playing only four games of which I won three. Having played few rated 19x19s since April 13th, the KGS calculations probably are more weighted towards my most recent games. I am, however, encouraged that I won even matches against kevinwm (15k) and saswiz (16k).

I won't believe my rank until after the results of six more matches.

3 Comments:

At 12:59 PM, May 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Davies Life and Death book is great, I agree. EVERYONE should study it. Haven't tried the Tesuji one yet.

 
At 9:14 AM, May 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi ChiyoDad,

[MUSIC] Congratulations to your rank of 14k.
I am JGurgeh, we have met long ago on kgs. Did you think on April the 22nd that you ever reach this stage? Even without playing against robots you have made it! I think, playing against robots is only useful for getting rid of a question mark. It doesn't show one's real strength, because robots have a problem with the estimation of distances.
So next time when you get stuck, remember these days right now, where approach was easy. It can alltime happens again.


May the good shape accompany you

JGurgeh

--
Go is life, life is Go!

 
At 9:19 PM, May 24, 2006, Blogger ChiyoDad said...

Hello gohst!

I've seen you on GoDiscussions.com. The Tesuji book can be a lot of fun.

Hello JGurgeh!

Thanks for the congratulations and well-wishes! No, I didn't think that I'd see this day but there is still a long road to shodan. I hope to enjoy the roadtrip with all of you!

Best Regards,
- ChiyoDad

 

Post a Comment

<< Home