Tuesday, August 09, 2005

The games of Shusaku & Fast matches

Shusaku's gravestone.
(Photo courtesy of Dave Jarvis's website.)

aKuei (29k?) had asked me if I knew where he could find the games of Shusaku. The only online resource I'm aware of is this page from Jeu de Go (in French). I thought I should post and share it with all of you. Click on the red buttons for the SGFs.

One of the nice things about Go is that no translation is needed.

I've been winning my games lately but I'm not happy with how I'm playing. A lot of the matches turn into bloodfeasts (or should we call them stonefeasts?). yoyoma (2k?) had noted that bad style of play during my match with Mahgy (30k?). Being good at capturing stones will be of less importance in higher-level games where long-term strategy is needed.

aKuei had noticed it. I am playing fast games and am setting my time limits to keep them fast. Part of it is because I'm trying to apply Sorin Gherman's (6d) advice. Part of it is that I have so little time for long games. It puts pressure on myself and my opponents but I'm hoping that it will pay off in the long run by allowing me to gain more experience and, after reviewing my games, identify and eliminate bad habits.

2 Comments:

At 5:34 AM, August 10, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thx for the link, I've been looking for Shusakus games...

 
At 12:40 AM, September 03, 2005, Blogger Shugyosha said...

Gobase.org contains over 570 games of Honinbo Shusaku. It must be remembered that Honinbo is a title and that he played under various names such as Kuwahara Torajiro (birth name), which is how I believe he signed his name. His PID on Gobase will show games under all 4 names in database. Here is a direct link to his page:
http://gobase.org/information/players/?pp=Kuwahara+Shusaku

 

Post a Comment

<< Home