Tuesday, August 02, 2005

My computer is kaput


My homebuilt, dual-CPU 400MHz PII finally reached an unrecoverable state. It had served me well since 1998; well past the normal lifespan of your average desktop. I'm blogging through ChiyoChan's PC right now.

Needless to say, I will probably spend today and tomorrow (and perhaps even the day after) getting a usable system, reloading software and recovering old files. C'est la vie (de tech). I couldn't find any good deals on FatWallet.com so I'll have to shop at Costco instead.

5 Comments:

At 7:43 PM, August 02, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buy a Dell, and sleep soundly. :)

 
At 11:16 AM, August 03, 2005, Blogger ChiyoDad said...

Wound up with an HP from Costco. I couldn't wait for Dell's back-to-school offers.

The supporting components are decent. I popped open the case and immediately recognized items manufactured by LiteOn and Asus.

The one item with which I'm least satisfied is the wireless keyboard (feels squishy). I may have to spring some money for a wireless combo from Logitech.

 
At 11:23 AM, August 05, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww sorry to hear about your computer :(

A-Kuei here, wondering why you weren't showing up at KGS anymore.. BTW if you're going a wireless keyboard+mouse pack get the new Microsoft one with the 2-axis wheel :P

 
At 11:48 AM, August 05, 2005, Blogger ChiyoDad said...

Thanks for the sentiments aKuei. I'll be back online soon. It takes a while to recover, reorganize and transfer more than 120GB of files.

My weapon of choice for PC navigation has always been trackballs (in lieu of mice). They don't take up much space and, in the case of Logitech Optical Trackman models, they're super-fast and accurate. The only drawback is that the top-of-the-line models are designed for right-hand use only (but I think that applies to a lot of mice as well).

 
At 1:52 PM, August 05, 2005, Blogger frankiii said...

I have been using a Logitech Marble Mouse USB with my left hand for a few years now and love it. They're also cheap @ $19.99 so I have a a few of them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home