Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Kids' gobans, Drago 1.45 and a problem

A scavenger webhunt finds more HNG merchandise

While reading the English blog Game Go In Russia, I ran across an interesting applet called FlashGoban (link in Russian). I've been looking for applets that would allow me to exhibit a SGF in my posts that you, the reader, could interact with but thus far I haven't found one that can be hosted on blogspot.com and is compatible with all browsers. Brad Woodard had shown me Igowalker which is promising but only works with Microsoft's Internet Explorer at this time.

Anyway, my hunt for information on FlashGoban led me to go.hobby.ru and to this shop where I found a pair of interesting magnetic kids' sets from Korea. These are obviously manufactured by Myung-In. Maybe the auctioneers at KHH Limited on eBay, or even Yutopian, should start offering these.

HNG 13x13 Magnetic Goban

HNG 19x19 Magnetic Goban

If you'd like to browse a translated version of any of the Russian sites, you can use Babelfish or IM Translator.


Drago 1.45 freeware now available


Gilles Arcas has updated Drago to version 1.45 and you can download it from his site. As some of you know, I use this application for studying SGFs offline and quizzing myself on Go problems.

It's been my preferred application for illustrating board positions because of its fast and convenient image file exporter. I had suggested it to wolvie (20k?) who now also uses it for her blog.


A simple life-and-death problem?

Peter Chen sent me the problem illustrated below. It looks simple, ... but is it? Black to move.

Black to move

5 Comments:

At 1:09 PM, November 22, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi ChiyoDad

Did you try the java applet used on the goproblems-site? Its source code is available at SourceForge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/problematic/).

I tested it on my .Mac-Account, and it's working fine.

Yours, Petronius

 
At 3:41 PM, November 22, 2005, Blogger ChiyoDad said...

Thanks for the suggestion Petronius! I may eventually have to set-up an account elsewhere to run these apps and store the related files. Although I can write the code into my Blogger posts, blogspot.com won't allow me to store the files on their servers. I'll have to shop for a cheap (preferrably free with no adverts) host that has a somewhat generous monthly bandwidth allowance.

 
At 8:51 PM, November 23, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You cannot store/host even a jpg file?

If yes, there is a nice trick with ZGo Applet viewer: you can rename a x.sgf file into x.jpg and the app will load it for you without any problem :-)

You can download it from http://www.geocities.com/dcioata/
I’ve also used it on my site: http://www.warriorsgoacademy.com/wgoa/Default.aspx?tabid=83
I like it very much: nice graphics, quick response time, etc.

Best regards,
Leonard

 
At 8:04 AM, November 24, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps you cannot copy the .jar file neither ;-) so go ahead and register for a Yahoo ID and you can have you home page, free, where you can copy the .jar file and all your sgf/jpg files.
Just use this code anywhere into your html blog page:

_applet code="ZGoMain.class" width="300" height="30"
archive="http://www.geocities.com/YOURSITE/ZGo.jar"_
_param name="sgfFile" value="http://www.geocities.com/YOURSITE/file_name.jpg"_
_param name="fileDesc" value="first game short desc"_
_param name="fileType" value="game"_
_/applet_

 
At 9:11 AM, November 24, 2005, Blogger ChiyoDad said...

Thanks for the info Leonard! I do have an account with Yahoo! and I'll experiment with it sometime this weekend. I'd just like to make sure that Yahoo! won't be able to push any ads to readers of my blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home