Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Yukari Umezawa's videos for complete beginners


Yukari Umezawa, 3rd Dan Professional from Japan

This post is dedicated to all those who have just started learning Go. If you're a complete newcomer to the game, you may want to bookmark this specific post.

I'm guessing that most of you have heard of Yukari Umezawa, the Japanese professional player who was the consultant to the story of Hikaru No Go. At the end of each episode of the animated TV series was a short clip about Go and beginners' techniques (tailored primarily towards children).

Well, ShadowBakura on YouTube.com did us all a wonderful favour by uploading the collection of Umezawa's instructional videos. He currently has two streams. They are in Japanese but with English subtitles. Here they are for your enjoyment and education!

Part 1


Part 2


Short Biography of Yukari Umezawa
Japanese only. No subtitles.

5 Comments:

At 5:20 PM, August 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello ChiyoDad:

The caption under Yukari Umezawa's photo says her rank is 3-dan (pro). I don't know, maybe that was her rank during the production of Hikaru no Go, but senseis library claims it is now 5-dan:

http://senseis.xmp.net/?UmezawaYukari

Btw, you have a nice site!

 
At 10:33 AM, August 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Umezawa is 5 dan since 2002 :-)

 
At 10:00 AM, September 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In case anyone is wondering what happened to Chiyodad's excellent blog, I found this post of his on GoDiscussions.com:

Posted by ChiyoDad on Wed Aug 16 14:54:58 EDT 2006

Well, I took Blogger's invitation to upgrade to Blogger Beta and my main blog, ChiyoDad Learns Go, is in limbo. It wasn't transferred over to Blogger Beta. It can still be read but I can't edit it and I can't approve comments to the posts. I'll have to wait until the Blogger folks fix it. It could take hours to months (possibly two months if they stick to their conversion calendar).

Maybe it's not such a bad thing. My new job is revving-up and our team members are super busy. Maybe I should be taking a break from blogging.

But it is hard. Writing comes natural to me.

At least my last post included those beginners' videos. I wanted to get those up for Iceman's Go class before school started.

______________________________________

regards,

NightGhost

 
At 10:12 AM, September 25, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kawaii sensei ^^

 
At 10:11 AM, October 14, 2006, Blogger Kevin K. said...

I miss your updates!

You have a wonderful blog, and it is on my list of ones that I check regularly. How has your Go playing been lately? If you'd like to play on KGS, that would be wonderful. My name is Funes, and I'd love to play you.

Kevin

 

Post a Comment

<< Home