Correcting my tactics
yoyoma (2k) reviewed my game against rurquhart (23k) and I came away with these points:
- Don't be afraid to extend while defending the corner (assuming it makes sense to do so).
- Walls are of diminished use (and possibly useless) if they have no base.
- Play a little further back when building defenses.
- Playing on both the 3rd and 4th lines can add balance to defending the sides and corners (this was an overview of the Chinese Opening).
- KGS ranks can be a poor indicator of one's true playing ability.
As I mentioned in a previous post, my daughter ChiyoChan has taken up chess.
Boo-hoo! Where did I go wrong?!
But seriously, I've been trying to help her find a helpful online community where she too can play and have her games reviewed. What I've discovered is that the bulk of online chess servers have gone pay-to-play. Thus far, I found only three sites that offer full-featured free play and that largest of these is FICS, the Free Internet Chess Server. Now if only I could find the best client software for her besides Jin.
I can't help but wonder if, someday, IGS and KGS might themselves go pay-to-play if the server traffice becomes too heavy. KGS already has its premium paid service and WWGo is free only to non-Japanese (for the purpose of promoting Go).
Anyway, for those who play both Go and Chess, don't be surprised if you happen to see me on FICS. I'm a very poor chess player but I may be there on the rare occasion that ChiyoChan needs assistance