Friday, September 02, 2005

You might feel this way too

I was inclined to do a cartoon about how I briefly felt last night but it seems that Russ Williams had already beat me to the punch in his series, KoFight Club.

And so, one artist tips his hat to the other ...


My Thursday night wasn't bad, really. But the only exciting game was my even KGS rematch with Shugyosha (27k?) who I had played back on June 30th on IGS.

Shugyosha plays clean games. In the two we played and the two I observed, I didn't see any of the desperate dogfighting that's more common in the lower kyus (a practice that even I sometimes engage in).


IMHO, he had a bit of an edge in the beginning and had established a nice moyo. My response was:
  1. Defending my upper and upper-right region per yoyoma's (2k) guidance.
  2. Trying to build an area from the lower-left corner to the center using a sequence of keimas.
I succeeded but I think there were many weaknesses that Shugyosha could have attacked. frankiii (19k) might easily find some situations that we should have played.

Incidentally, I received an inquiry about the goban that I have been recently using to illustrate my games. I use Gilles Arcas's Drago for these because it has an Export Position feature which very quickly creates a JPEG to my specified size. This means I don't have to do screen-captures and edit them in Photoshop.

Those of you who have been following my blog know that I've been getting a lot of good use out of Gilles's application for reviewing my games and training on Go problems (see recommendation number 5 of that latter post).

4 Comments:

At 9:56 AM, September 02, 2005, Blogger frankiii said...

Nice win!

 
At 2:21 PM, September 02, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello
Great to see Drago is useful. Indeed a nice final position, but 1/I don't understand M18 and R18 2/ without sgf it is difficult to add more comments.

 
At 2:30 PM, September 02, 2005, Blogger ChiyoDad said...

Hello Gilles. M18 and R18 were earlier defensive plays to secure the moyo and discourage an invasion. M18 was, if I recall correctly, a misclick since I had meant to do a keima.

 
At 3:25 PM, September 02, 2005, Blogger ChiyoDad said...

The SGF itself can be found here on KGS.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home