Thursday, March 30, 2006

BBC video on the Hikaru No Go effect



You might have missed it in the comments to one of my previous posts. Leonard Dragomir of the Warriors Go Academy provided a link to YouTube.com which featured a BBC video about the Hikaru No Go effect in Japan.

I thought that I should bring more attention to it with a dedicated post and embed the player into the blog. Clicking on the circular play button in the middle of the image will start the video. I hope it works for all of you. Obviously, it will work best with a broadband connection.

If the video doesn't seem to work, you can instead read the text article from the BBC's archive.



Leonard also put together a second personal production on Go. You can either watch it on the embedded player above or view it on YouTube. I had blogged about his first production back in December.


18k - Can I hold on to it?

A recent string of won matches pushed my KGS rank up to 18k but more battle-testing will be needed to see if my skills have truly improved and if I have the mental discipline to apply them properly.

On average, I've been investing more thought into my moves but I have still found myself lapsing into careless play; sometimes in the middle of the game.

I've also tried to review my games with a stronger player as often as possible. Chrono3450 has been most available to help me with recent reviews. He and fathwad introduced me to the fun of watching auto-played Shusaku games back in September.


In other news


ChiyoChan brought home straight 4s (the equivalent of straight As) in her report card so I'm alright with letting her buy a copy of Kingdom Hearts II when it releases this week. I thought it was supposed to be available by Tuesday, March 28th, but that seems to have slipped. Costco supposedly will be stocking it on Thursday and some other retail giants will not have them on the shelves until April 4th.

Our household was very late in acquiring a gaming console. We bought our first one, a Playstation 2, just a few months ago. It's not like ChiyoChan has been completely deprived of gaming opportunities though. She's long had her own PC although, these days, she uses it mostly to scan and digitally enhance her drawings with Photoshop.

6 Comments:

At 12:28 AM, March 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hoo-ray Chiyochan! In all of my rubric experience, 4 means qualitatively advanced work (i.e. above grade level). This would be more than mere As at grade level. Truly an accomplishment. And an 18k in the same family. Congrats to the Chiyos!

Regarding the video, imagine what could happen here if/when HnG plays on Nickelodeon. I keep telling my students they're catching an early ride on a big wave. Have you seen Restless (1998)? It's about an American woman who falls in love with a wei-qi master in China. The film is so-so, but has at least one go scene that is of interest. This chick-flick may be one way to interest some wives/girlfriends in the game.

 
At 10:44 AM, March 31, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bravo, ChiyoChan!!! Way to go!

I like very much your drawings … what about creating a logo for my site as your first job?!

Thank you again ChiyoDad for your very addictive blog!

Let me ask you something … how many Pro’s games you know by heart?
Are you able to replay at least 10 pro games (first 100 moves) without help?
If not … go ahead and do it. ;-) Learn one TODAY and test yourself Tomorrow … and again few days later. And again …

“When you have memorized something, you need to review that material, otherwise you will forget it. However, as you probably know from experience, it is much more effective to space out these revisions over the course over several days, rather than cramming all the revisions in a single session. This is what is called the spacing effect.”
Learn more here: http://mnemosyne-proj.sourceforge.net/principles.html

Download the software and stick with it. Until “mine” would be ready … this is more than enough ;-)

Leonard

 
At 2:27 PM, March 31, 2006, Blogger ChiyoDad said...

Hello Iceman and Leonard!

Many thanks! ChiyoChan is very happy with her new game and I believe she prepared well for her Geometry test today.

I'm afraid I haven't seen that movie but I'll add it to my Netflix queue.

Memorize pro games?

How many?

Well, ... ah, ... ummm, ...

None?

That's an interesting idea. I'll consider it although I'll need to better understand how it might help me.

 
At 3:33 PM, March 31, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

… just do a search on Google with “memorizing pro games”. You’ll be amazed that the first 8 results are GO related!
After that, try “memorizing chess games”.
You’ll find a huge list of “reasons”. ;-)

Leonard

 
At 9:12 PM, March 31, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi ChiyoDad,

Still in doubt as to whether you can hold onto that 18K? :)

See ya' at dan...


NightGhost

 
At 1:53 PM, April 01, 2006, Blogger ChiyoDad said...

NightGhost! It's good to hear from you!

Okay, I think I am going to hold on to KGS 18-kyu. Apparently, you saw the latest change to my rank on March 31st. It was a bit unexpected.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home