Thursday, December 28, 2006

Results of the 2006 Summer-Fall Poll

Well, my Summer 2006 poll got stretched-out into a Summer-Fall 2006 poll. Of course, that allowed more responses to be recorded and, in all, there were 663 of them.

The poll was partly intended for me to examine the rank demographic of those who read this blog. It's obviously tailored to beginners and lower kyus and the responses seems to confirm that. Here's a tabulation of the responses.


And for those of you who are more diagram-oriented, here's a pie chart to show how the rank categories filled-out.

Click to enlarge.

I very much appreciate those of you in the higher ranks who have been following my progress and have been assisting me in whatever ways you can. Quite honestly, a good deal of my advancement is owed to some of you.

Reality Bites: The 2007 Winter Poll
In Go as in any endeavour, some of us are talented and most of us are not. I clearly fall into the latter category.

How long did you, or do you, think it might take to get to shodan? An honest-to-goodness tested-in-many-battles shodan? An "I can defend it in any even-ranked or handicapped game" shodan? An IGS or KGS shodan? Perhaps even a Korean-grade shodan?

Did something happen and you tapped into your inner Sai to speed your way to that goal?

Or did reality bite, ... and bite hard?

That's the subject of the 2007 Winter poll: how long we think it might take to get to shodan. There are those with driving ambitions while others are finding "fun on the road". There are realists and idealists.

Have fun with the new poll!

3 Comments:

At 5:37 PM, December 28, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In our little go community I was considered an up and coming player for a few years. I think it took me around 2 years to reach German 3k. Now after around 7 years I am one of the few dan players in our area (~40 players). I am a solid German shodan (EGF rating around 2080, KGS 1dan-2dan), but it took me 3-4 years to make that progress from 3k up to shodan. I did alot, read books, played and watched often on the internet, played 5-7 tournaments per year. I had no teacher, but I spent really lots of time which was possible because I was studying and the schedule was not as fixed. My personal goal is 3dan, but it's tough. I will need at least another 3 or 4 years for that (including the fact that there is less time now having a day-to-day job).
I see that for many players including myself there seems to be a barrier at around say 10k-8k and between 5k and 2k. I have seen people get 2k/3k within a year but of us most are slower.
It also does make a difference at which point of time in life one is starting too. I dare to say that if one is starting age 30 or older for several reasons it's tough to reach 8k and really hard to get much better than 3k. (No offense intended, I'd love to be proved wrong!)
Winning, getting things work and observing ones own reactions when losing is the fun in go for me. IMO this starts around 15k-13k because some of your own ideas (e.g. capture this stone!) begin to work. My theory is that most people stick with go all life long after they reached this point. Atari!

 
At 3:17 PM, December 29, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your poll does not allow enough choice. Some people could take 10 or 20 years to reach shodan.

 
At 3:35 PM, December 29, 2006, Blogger ChiyoDad said...

Some people could take 10 or 20 years to reach shodan.

Very true. That, in my opinion, falls into the category of "not being on a timetable".

It's very much the most ambitious players that seek shodan in a shorter span of time. I have noticed, however, that some are forced to re-assess their goals when the depth and complexity of the game becomes more visible to them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home