Monday, July 25, 2005

Handicaps for 13x13s

Whoever plays first will lose. (But the komi is -2.)

I played only two 13x13s this evening on KGS. I lost the first to Kivaa (27k) by 29.5 moku. I won the second against Dangure (22k) by 9.5 moku because I had applied the wrong handicap of 5 stones and a komi of 0.5.

According to Sensei's Library, Ishikura Noboru's recommendations for a 13x13 board are as follows (gap in rank, handicap stones, komi).
  • 0, 0, 5.5
  • 1, 0, 0
  • 2, 0, -5
  • 3, 2, 5
  • 4, 2, 0
  • 5, 2, -5
  • 6, 3, 5
  • 7, 3, 0
  • 8, 3, -5
I wonder if an error was made in the article. I don't understand why the subsequent komi are whole numbers. Doesn't this mean that the game can end in a draw? Maybe some keener minds can explain what I'm missing.

Other recommendations can be found in the Handicaps for Small Boards page of Sensei's Library.

Ran into Hikaru (BC-IGS) who goes by the handle of aKuei (30k?-KGS). Unfortunately, it was getting too late for me to play another game. Perhaps tomorrow evening. I guess folks are able to quickly recognize me on the servers since I always use the same login name.

Hikaru found out about KGS through this blog. Glad it's of some use to others.

2 Comments:

At 4:42 PM, July 26, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard somewhere that komi rules don't apply to handicap games, so it actually is possible to get a tie in a handicap game. (i.e. in volume 9 of hikaru no go, hikaru plays several handicap games where he has to make a tie on purpose, through carefully calculating territory etc.)

 
At 5:31 PM, July 26, 2005, Blogger ChiyoDad said...

Interesting. I would need to look that up. I do recall that episode where Hikaru purposefully fought his simultaneous matches to a draw.

Of course, as long as you don't apply komi, any match can end in a draw.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home