Friday, July 22, 2005

Was this seki or dead?

I need some opinions to check my ability to read ahead and analyze stone positions.

Is this situation in the lower left corner of this screen seki, White dead, or Black Dead? My opponent, mandioca (22k?) opted to pass rather than play it out. He then escaped (yet another) after I disputed his claim that my black groups (centered at d6 and c1) were dead. I won by forfeit after five minutes.

Black to play.

Although it could be played to the death of either if the wrong move was made, my read was that the positions below would be fought to seki with this sequence: B-a4, W-a3, B-b4, W-d2 (or d1), B-d1 (or d2), W-c5 (seki). There's another sequence that I read in the board but it also leads to seki; one eye for both sides and one mutual eye that kills whoever plays there first.

Did I read correctly or was there an absolute kill sequence for either Black or White?

3 Comments:

At 5:37 AM, July 23, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seki. But you should have played it out. Don't assume that your opponent sees the same thing.

 
At 6:13 AM, July 23, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The status is not determined yet. If white plays A4, he has two eyes and is alive (and black dies). Black needs to actually play A4 to make the seki. So B-a4, W-a3... Now black doesn't need to continue with the rest of the sequence, because white can no longer make life or kill the black stones, it's seki.

 
At 6:22 AM, July 23, 2005, Blogger ChiyoDad said...

I understand. I should have played to the point where the position was no longer ambiguous. Thanks to both for your comments!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home